LAVENDER NEST

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Perspective


My days of late have been filled with sadness and worry. My little, sweet natured Grammy is not doing well and has been in the hospital for the past week. I won't bore you with the details, but it's awful to see her struggling to do some of the things she was doing not very long ago. 

For the time being, life has taken on a new pace. Work, help out at the hospital, cook/clean, sleep and repeat in various orders. There have been large spans of time spent at the hospital helping her manage. The time I have been so fortunate to spend with her has given me perspective. One I hope to be able to hold onto, especially during the days ahead.  

This little Italian lady is just that, a lady. Filled with a presence that remains gracious, polite and kind even when there are staff and visitors by her bedside that she doesn't recognize. 

Over the past few months, I've come to recognize a good part of myself in her, which brings immense comfort, especially when I'm not there and out in the world trying to do the day-to-day stuff that needs to get done. It's easy to become frustrated. Without even knowing it, she offers an important reminder to be gracious, polite and kind. What basic, simple and smart wisdom. 

This perspective is bringing happiness to the simplest of moments: 
:: A bowl full of ripe tomatoes
:: Homemade blueberry lemon muffins
:: Cuddling with Jax-the-Dog
:: Giggling with Grammy
:: A hearty laugh with one of my Aunts
:: Sitting on the floor of my studio eating strawberries and whipped cream with a friend --plotting, planning and catching up

May your week be filled with a perspective that brings you grace to face all that arises. 


No comments:

Post a Comment