LAVENDER NEST

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lavender Grace


A while back, my mom called me one night and asked if she could purchase a few jars of lavender hand scrub for her friends. Delighted to have an order, I of course said yes. At the time I didn't think much of it, but during one of our lunch time chats, she told me she had a little something for me and to remind her the next time we saw each other.

One of her friends has diabetes and wound up losing her foot and part of her leg. I can't even imagine what that must be like. As part of her recovery, my mom had given her a jar of the lavender scrub and a second one when she used it up. She used it to keep her hands hydrated and feeling nice after her hands took a beating from using her wheelchair. Throughout her recovery she told my  mom what a comfort the scrub was. The scent, the feel and the thought - knowing someone made something for her that aided in the healing process, both mentally and physically.

This wooden sculpture by Willow Tree named, Lavender Grace, meaning 'May all your senses be filled with healing grace' was her thank you to me for making something that brought a little hope and relief to a trying time.

I'm incredibly touched and humbled at the thought, especially considering all she has been through and to in turn, think of me. Lavender Grace now sits in my studio as a reminder of how we can heal one another even in our darkest hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment