LAVENDER NEST

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Hope all you mom’s out there are enjoying your day! My parents came over this morning for baked stuffed French toast with scrambled eggs, coffee and Bellini’s. The best part, for me, was I did all the fussing and setting up last night so all I had to do was get up this morning and put the French toast in the oven (recipe below – courtesy of a friend).




I was quite pleased with the fresh, French country look of the table. Pulling out the China was a last minute decision, but it was well worth it. My mom loved it and it paired well with the recently made Pottery Barn inspired burlap table runners. Theirs are $48 each; mine cost $5 for two!




After a recent trip to Pottery Barn last week for a rug, I was left with the wants as I always am after being in their store. But the runners were just way too much for this girl and I know burlap is super cheap at the craft store, which is exactly where I headed. Two yards of burlap, one package of no sew tape and four buttons from one of my button jars = happiness in the form of two brand new table runners. I think the table loves it too. It's looking a bit worn since its been in the family since I was five and if you look closely enough you can see where I learned to write, but it spruces up well and still proves to be a nice gathering place for family meals and celebrations. 




As promised, Baked Stuffed French Toast Recipe:
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
12 slices of white bread
5 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 pint of blueberries

Combine brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Spread 1/3 of mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Cover with 6 slices of bread. Sprinkle another 1/3 of sugar mixture over bread and scatter blueberries on top. Place remaining 6 slices of bread on top of the fruit. Sprinkle the remaining sugar mixture on top.
Beat remaining 4 ingredients together. Pour mixture evenly over bread layers. Press bread down lightly. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until puffed and golden.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment