LAVENDER NEST

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Past, Present and Future


An odd time of year to be showing pictures of a boat, at least here in the northeast, but with the flurry of activity lately, I completely forgot to share my latest mixed media collage piece. It was made months ago in preparation for my husband's birthday and then squirreled away for safe keeping. I was so excited to pull it out of hiding a couple of weeks ago for his special day. 


 He loved it. And I adore the fact that he values home made gifts as much as I do. At times it's quite the competition to see who can out do the other one [I win at least half the time].

From what I'm told, he was a water baby from the very start. Much of his childhood and favorite memories were spent by the water, making this piece not only a reminder of his early years, but the love we share for being waterside whether it be a beautiful river, lake or the sea and the dream of living by a beautiful body of water some day.


I incorporated ephemera from trips we've taken by the seaside and the Thousand Islands, which are always a favorite time for us. Maps, paper place mats from restaurants, tour guide books and ticket stubs tend to be my go-to supplies for projects like these. It gives the piece additional meaning and provides a better home for ephemera versus the box they would otherwise be spending a lifetime in where they are not appreciated or even remembered.


How do you honor your past, present and future in your artwork or even your life? 




No comments:

Post a Comment