LAVENDER NEST

Monday, September 12, 2011

Perspective

That long to-do and things-to-pack list is almost squared away as I get ready to head out to Squam Art Workshops on Wednesday [through Sunday]. I’m having a hard time believing how many bags I’ve packed: layers of clothes for chilly fall weather by the lake, mixed media art supplies, snacks and food, notebooks and a general catch all bag. It’s a good thing I’m not flying! Now I know why on their website they have instructions on shipping your things.



[My poor little guy must think he's coming along with me.]


Last week, prior to packing, I was starting to feel a bit anxious about going. Anxious about being in the car by myself for six hours [I max out around four to five hours and that’s when I'm traveling with someone], meeting new friends, would I meet people I like?, who will I sit with at lunch?….it was starting to feel like I was going back to school with all these thoughts just spinning round and round. I was basically overwhelmed by needless, self-concocted worries.

But something happened yesterday on the 10th anniversary of 9/11. I felt a rebirth of patriotism. A belonging to something much larger. Through this common thread of humanity, I was quickly grounded in less selfish thoughts and worries. Being able to travel and live freely is a gift from those who fought to save the victims of 9/11 and those who still fight for our freedoms. 

This gift is not forgotten. I’m forever grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment