LAVENDER NEST

Saturday, February 9, 2013

heart's day crafts

Over the past couple of weeks, I've been gathering supplies for Valentine's Day. While there was one project I couldn't wait to make, the rest have been patiently waiting for me to work on them. Friday was a quiet, snowy day here and with nothing much to do I began puttering away on a few of the projects. 


While out snowshoeing around the holidays, there were lots of birch trees shedding their bark. Being careful, it peels right off in big chunks. I trimmed a piece to size, traced a heart onto it with a pencil, wrote our initials and heated up the wood burning tool to trace over my writing. Never would I have thought I'd enjoy wood burning, but I do. That is once I got the hang of it.


A quick note on this: the tool itself can be purchased at the craft store with a coupon for under $10. The tip gets VERY hot and the smell of it can set the smoke alarm off in the house. If you have your alarm attached to a security system, it's best to give them a call and let them know what you are up to, otherwise unexpected visitors with lots of gear may show up at your door.  


While I have nothing against store bought truffles, I'm not a huge fan of the packaging. After all, isn't all about the packaging. Realtors preach location, location, location. Marketers on the other hand are big on packaging. If it doesn't look just right, how can it sell? The top of this heart shaped box of chocolates was covered using a brown paper bag and then customized using Valentine's Day sheet music and a vintage Valentine's Day card. A little red watercolor paint around the edges and voila! 

The saying on the card, cracks me right up, "Show signs of life and be my Valentine."


Again, store bought candy, placed in a clear bag with a custom label attached. It'll make a great lunchtime surprise treat. 

With only a couple of little things left to make, I'm almost ready to celebrate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment